Sunday, January 6, 2013

Goal Setting: How did you do?

This week's challenge was to develop a baseline for your health, focusing on where you are now and where you want to be. So, how did you do?

I decided to use the following measurements for my success:


  1. 1 Mile Run  
  2. Push-ups in 60 Seconds
  3. Waist Measurement 
  4. Hip Measurement 
  5. Weight 
When first starting to exercise and change your lifestyle, you might see your weight go up. This does not mean you are "gaining weight" per se, but the inflammation in your tissue from muscle breakdown (that's what has to happen to get you stronger) causes people to sometimes weigh a little more. So, that being said, try not to weigh yourself too frequently. Weigh no more than once per week to track your progress. I recommend retesting your other measurements once per month so you can track your progress. 

When setting goals, remember to be realistic, yet challenging. One of the first things we learn in PT school about setting goals for patients are that the goals need to be functional and attainable. If a goal is too challenging, you will be frustrated with your lack of success and this will make you less likely to stick to the plan. It is also helpful to make short-term goals for yourself to help you see success over your trip. For example, try setting 3 month and 6 month goals. Then at 6 months, you can re-evaluate and make goals for 9 months and 1 year. 

Look for next week's challenge tomorrow! It's going to be a GREAT week! 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jess! I love this approach to getting healthy, I'm hoping for some inspiration to keep working on that for myself. But...

    Gah! Your goals are almost exactly the same as the air force physical fitness tests of run/sit-ups/push-ups/waist measurement. I was so enjoying the idea that those tests were nothing but baloney and now I have to consider that they might actually have had a point.... :(

    My goals are:
    -level out blood sugar
    -drop (at least) one pant size
    -waist measurement
    -lose 10-15
    Meeting all of those goals will probably result in this one:
    -lose 10-15 pounds

    This blog looks fantastic!

    -Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth!

      That's hilarious :) I had no idea my benchmarks were the same as the air force. I chose those goals primarily to try to shift a little away from my "lose weight" focus I typically have and to try to focus on being stronger and healthier. I added the abdominal and hip measurement because I think sometimes weight can be unchanged, but those change and that is a great sign of success in being healthy.

      Hope the blog helps to give you motivation! I'm loving it so far.

      Delete