Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Homemade Peanut Butter Protein Bars

Just made a DELICIOUS work snack, and had to share. I found the original recipe here, but modified it slightly based on the reviews I read, and what I call the taste-factor. It is Andrew-approved, which believe me, is a very good thing for a healthy protein bar. Try it out and see if you like it!

Peanut-Butter Protein Bars
makes 16 bars, 140 calories each

Ingredients:
1/2 c. skim milk
1 c. all-natural crunchy peanut butter
2 T. honey
1 1/4 c. chocolate whey protein powder
2 c. oats

1. In a medium saucepan, heat milk, peanut butter and honey over low heat until mixed and creamy looking.

2. Add protein powder and mix well.

3. Add oats. You will most likely have to use your hands at this point because it will be somewhat sticky and hard to combine.

4. Press into 9x13 baking dish and allow to cool. Once completely cooled, Cut into 16 bars (looks granola bar-ish if you cut them in half lengthwise, then slice each half into 8 bars.

I love this as a base recipe. I'm excited to try different combinations. My ideas are:

  • Chocolate & cherry almond bar: use almond butter, dried cherries & dried almonds. 
  • Peanut butter flax seed bar: use peanut butter, flax seed, sunflower seeds 
  • Honey apricot bar: use vanilla protein powder, dried apricots, almond butter, almonds 
Hope you enjoy! I would love to hear any other combinations you try! 

No comments:

Post a Comment