Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Week 1: Developing a Plan & Setting Goals

As I mentioned previously, my goal with 52 weeks is to slowly work through different fitness ideas and concepts to figure out what works best for me in creating a healthy body. Our first week's goal is to develop a plan for what exactly this will look like. The key things we should each focus on in setting goals are:

  1. How do I want to measure my success? 
  2. How often should I take these measurements? 
  3. What is my ultimate goal? 
  4. When do I want to accomplish this goal? 
I would encourage each of you to look above and beyond the traditional "weight loss" goal. Our society focuses so much on a specific number that we need to be "ideal," when instead we should aim for being strong, healthy human beings--in both our bodies and our souls. That being said, it is okay to make a goal to lose a certain amount of weight, but try to set some goals that are different and more personal to you. For example: 
  1. Run 1 mile in under 7 minutes
  2. Exercise 5 days each week on average 
  3. Decrease number of medications I take daily 
  4. Meditate x 10 min each day
  5. Perform 50 push-ups in a row. 
  6. Fit into 1 size smaller jeans
Next, we want to develop a plan to get there. Luckily, I have this one set for you already (don't say I never gave you anything!), and my hope is that we will all slowly reach our health and fitness goals through each week's challenges. 

What are your goals for fitness for this upcoming year? How do you plan on measuring your success? 

I look forward to beginning this journey with you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment