Saturday, January 5, 2013

Wisdom from Hot Yoga

Image credited to: http://images.cdn.fotopedia.com/flickr-2242940421-hd.jpg

I went to a hot yoga class yesterday, for the first time in about 6 months. (Check out 90 Degree Yoga here) This puts me off to a great start for this year!! Between sweating (literally dripping sweat!) and trembling to maintain the poses my body was struggling hard to remember, my instructor gave us charges to focus on in the upcoming year.  These stuck with me, so I wanted to share them to also inspire you forward toward a more peaceful year of health and wellness!

They come from the book, The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz and stem from the group Toltec Wisdom.  Honestly, I had never heard of them before, but I looked them up and they seem to be focused on our personal spiritual journeys. I'm normally more of the "exercise" rather than "spiritual" aspect of yoga, but this was helpful. So, here are the four agreements:


  1. Be Impeccable with your Word: Speak the truth with integrity. Follow through with what you say. Keep your promises and keep your words kind and loving. 
  2. Don't Take Anything Personally: Easier said than done, believe me. This comes down to realizing that everything isn't about you. Realizing that most people do have good intentions. Being open to becoming a better person through the guidance of others. 
  3. Don't Make Assumptions: Don't be afraid to communicate openly with others to truly understand what people say and mean. Again, realize that most of the time it's not about you. 
  4. Always do your Best: As true in yoga as it is at home or in the workplace. Your best will vary day to day, but strive to be the best that you can in the moment. And avoid judging yourself for how good that best is.  
I hope these are as encouraging to you as they were to me. Imagine how our world would change if we were all trying to live this way! Happy Saturday!

For more information on the Four Agreements, go to http://www.toltecspirit.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment