Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Week 3: I'm so hungry I could eat a....camel.

http://greshamoregon.gov/city/city-departments/
environmental-services/water/template.aspx?id=5874

Welcome to week 3 in our journey toward a more fit & fantastic 2013! This week's challenge is a little bit different...and easy...yet challenging. Our focus this week is fluid intake. (Hence the camel comment in the title...get it? I'm hilarious, I know).

Did you know that your body is composed of 60% water? That's amazing, right? We desperately need water to survive and our bodies will try to give us cues to drink the amount that is needed--even if that means convincing you that you are starving. That's right. Thirst is often mistaken for hunger, so we need to listen to our body's cues and give our bodies the much needed fluid during the day.

How much water is needed? Well, that one is up for the debate. Many of us have heard, "Drink 8, 8-oz glasses of fluid per day," but truly, water intake should vary based on the person and on his or her level of activity. For example, if I go to a hot yoga class today you better believe I need more than 8 c. fluid--but--if I spend my entire day sitting at a desk, 8 c. fluid may be sufficient. That being said, we need to be more attuned to the needs of our bodies to truly care for our bodies.

The Mayo clinic (here) actually recommends that most men need approximately 3L (That's closer to 100 oz) per day and most women need approximately 2.2 L per day (which is close to 70 oz). Now, I have to add a small note for people who hate water. First, I will say, I don't really understand you. I love water. It's easy for me to drink. However, in my profession--working daily with people who have bladder problems--I have learned that there is a large group of people out there who literally find water to be disgusting. I could go on and on about the need to hydrate for your bladder, however, that is not the purpose of this blog.  So, if you are a "water-hater," here are my recommendations:

  • Iced & hot herbal teas (not caffeinated--that will irritate your bladder and you'll have to take in a lot of caffeine to get your 2.2 L) 
  • Infused water: Slice of fruit, cucumbers, etc. and soak in a pitcher of water overnight to help give your water some taste. 
  • Diluted Juice: I'm talking really diluted--like a splash of cranberry in your water. Most juices are too sugary to be taken in at 2L per day. 
  • Crystal Light or some other flavor giver: This is not my preference because it is artificially sweetened which is not the best for your bladder or health, but if I have to choose between dehydration and crystal light, I'll take the crystal light. :) 


Ok, that being out of the way--here is this week's challenge. Knowing that 1) our bodies need to be hydrated and 2) we often mistake thirst for hunger, your challenge is the following: 

 1. Drink a minimum of 2.2 L per day (women) or 3 L per day (men). This should be adjusted based on your activity level for that day.

2. When you are hungry, drink at least 8 oz of water. Then wait 15 minutes prior to eating a snack or meal. This will help your body cue in to "hunger" or "thirst" and prevent you from overeating.

So, what are your favorite water substitutes? What have you found to be helpful in encouraging you to drink more fluid?

Good luck on this week's challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment